How do I check the health of my WD hard drive?
- Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDlg_vx_xx.zip.
- Extract and run the program, WinDlg_vx_xx.exe.
- Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
- On the main program screen, there are two windows.
- Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.
How fix bad sectors WD external hard drive?
2. Run CHKDSK Command and Format Hard Drive
- Run CHKDSK command to fix soft bad sectors. Press the Windows key and type cmd.
- Format hard drive to usable again. Open Windows File Explorer, locate and right-click on your hard drive. Select “Format”, reset the file system as NTFS, tick “Quick Format” and click “Start”.
How do I restore my hard drive health?
Steps to Increase Hard Drive Life and Health
- Run Check Disk (CHKDSK) Scan.
- Perform Defragmentation.
- Avoid Overheat and Protect From Dust & Moisture.
- ‘Ground’ Your System Properly.
- Use Of Surge Protectors.
- Actively Monitor Your Hard Drive.
- Remove the Temporary Files.
- Remove Duplicate Files From Your Hard Disk.
What is Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows is a simple, free tool from Western Digital that displays the model, serial number, partitions, capacity, and S.M.A.R.T. data of any Western Digital hard disk drives that support Data Lifeguard that are attached to your system. It can also test your disks and display the results.
Can a bad sector on a hard drive be repaired?
Hard and soft bad sectors Hard bad sectors cannot be repaired, but they can be prevented. A soft bad sector is sometimes explained as the “hard drive formatting wearing out” – they are logical errors, not the physical ones. These are repairable by overwriting everything on the disk with zeros.