How do you block out a quote?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
Are there block quotes in Chicago?
A block quote is indented 0.5 inches in Chicago style. Additionally, a Chicago style block quote does not use quotation marks and is single-spaced.
How do I turn off smart quotes in Google Docs?
1 Answer. Click on “Preferences” under the “Tools” menu in an open document, then uncheck “Use Smart Quotes”. This setting is global, so it will affect all of your documents in Google Docs.
Can a block quote be on two pages?
In a manuscript or student paper, it is fine for a block quotation to be split across two pages or for the entire quotation to be moved to the top of the next page. In a professionally published work, the publisher will determine how the quotation should be set.
Are block quotes single spaced Chicago?
Block quotations, table titles, and figure captions are single spaced. A prose quotation of 5+ lines should be blocked. A blocked quotation does not get enclosed in quotation marks.
Does Chicago Use headings?
In Chicago style, headings are used to organize your writing and give it a hierarchical organization. There can be up to five levels of headings in your paper.
How do I make a freestanding text block?
- Hit enter before the first word of the quote, and after the last word of the quote.
- Highlight the text.
- Right click and select paragraph.
- Under indent change left to . 5″
Do you need quotation marks for block quotes?
Unlike quotes integrated into your text, block quotes do not need quotation marks. Note the placement of the punctuation. After a block quote, the punctuation is placed before the citation, not after. Always provide context and a lead-in when you use a block quote.