What is meant by contention?
1 : a point advanced or maintained in a debate or argument It is his contention that allowing a casino to be built would not be in the best interests of the city. 2 : an act or instance of contending He has taken himself out of contention for the directorship. 3 : rivalry, competition.
How do you write a good contention?
Points to remember:
- ensure your topic sentence clearly indicates what you will discuss in your paragraph.
- check to make sure your topic sentence is an idea that stems from your contention.
- avoid character based topic sentences and focus on the themes these characters are utilised to explore.
What is a extended paragraph?
The framework for an expanded paragraph/brief essay is three sentences that support the topic, marked by the transitional expressions “first of all,” secondly,” and “thirdly.” An elaborating sentence that infers more information follows each supporting sentence. All sentences are arranged in a clear, logical order.
What are some persuasive language techniques?
- Adjective. Describing words, often used to make the reader feel a particular way about an issue.
- Alliteration. The repetition of words starting with the same to create emphasis.
- Emotive words.
- Inclusive language.
What causes contention?
If something is a cause of contention, it is a cause of disagreement or argument. They generally tried to avoid subjects of contention between them. A particular source of contention is plans to privatise state-run companies.
What is extended response performance task?
Extended-Response Performance Task A type of performance task that is less structured and broader in scope. Examples: Students conducting a thesis and then presenting and defending their findings in front of a panel of judges; rewriting a poem after being criticized by a teacher.
How do you use contention?
- My contention is that the scheme will never work.
- Three players are in contention to win the title.
- His contention was that world trade barriers should be canceled.
- Her main contention is that doctors should do more to encourage healthy eating.
How long should extended response be?
Also, fully answering an ER prompt often requires 4 to 7 paragraphs of 3 to 7 sentences each – that can quickly add up to 300 to 500 words of writing! A response that is significantly shorter could put you in danger of scoring a 0 just for not showing enough of your writing skills.