Why is it hard to put my key in the door lock?
First, try lubrication. A lubricant can help your key all over and penetrate into the lock to loosen whatever is making them stuck. Spray lubricant will typically do the trick. If your key is just bent or broken, this will likely not fix the problem.
Can you use WD40 on key lock?
Do not use WD-40, WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant and will, in fact, remove any type of lubricant that is in the cylinder. Use a lubricant that has a silicone, graphite or Teflon base only. Make sure the lock cylinder is facing up and spray or pour the lubricant into the cylinder.
What is the best lubricant for door locks?
Top 10 Lubricant for Door Locks Reviews
- WD-40 3-IN-ONE Lock Dry Lube.
- Protexall HOUD1 Houdini Lock Lube.
- B’laster 8-GS Industrial Graphite Lubricant.
- DuPont DE0016601 Teflon Lubricant.
- AGS Automotive Solutions LE5 Lubrication Fluid.
- Master Lock 2300D PTFE Lubricant.
- WD-40 300012 Specialist Silicone Lubricant.
How do you loosen a lock?
How to Loosen Up a Tight Lock
- Insert the lubricant’s supplied, spray-directing straw into the can’s spray nozzle.
- Position the straw near the center of the lock’s key hole.
- Spray a small amount of lubricant on the lock’s key.
- Insert the key into the key hole and pull it out again.
How do you loosen a stiff door lock?
Why is WD-40 bad for locks?
But this multi-faceted product has limitations – it should never be used to lubricate locks! The main reason for this is that WD40 is not a true lubricant; it is a water and oil displacing solvent. As well as this, using WD40 in a lock can lead to the collection of dust and grime, causing the lock pins to stick.
Do locks need to be oiled?
Locks typically last for around seven years. To maximize the lifespan of your lock, you should perform regular cleaning and lubrication. You can use compressed air to clean locks, as well as wet cleaners like WD-40. Dry lubes are great for locks because they require less follow up lubrication.
Why is my front door so hard to open?
Lately my front door is hard to open and close. Other factors, such as loose hinges, can make it difficult to open or close a door. The hinge screws may need tightening, otherwise check the door jam; make sure it is flush with the door frame. It could also be water damage to the wood, which would make the wood expand.
How do you free a stiff door lock?
Put a little amount of graphite powder inside the door lock to ease any friction inside, making sure not to put in too much. You’ll also want to put some of the powder onto both sides of the door key. If you don’t have any graphite powder you can use a pencil.